Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Everything that goes up must come down.

1999, being a hostel-ite in Bangalore, I had to go and meet my cousin in IISC, so I borrowed bike from my senior in college ...without realizing that the pollution certificate of the bike has expired, and when you fear the most, it happens ....cops at mekari circle waiting for me, after a brief round of {GENTEL} Introduction, they asked for papers and discovered the caveat. I had only 70 Rs, and with my instinct (being bought up in North India) I was quick to offer 50Rs to the head Cop. What happened next is the basis to the bottomline of this discussion. Okay lemme make it more dramatic n do it the NEWS channel way .....



  1. Did the Cop acceped the Bribe ??
  2. Did the COP demanded more money ?
  3. Did he refused to take money ?
  4. Did he arrest me in lieu to offer bribe ?
  5. Did he let me go without any fine.

To our suprise none of the above is true ... :-))

What happened then became a learning in my life , although a confused learning !!!

This is what happened :

45-48 year old , Traffic Inspector "Manjunath R" asked me how old i am ? 19 i replied .....He said boy you have not even riped to see the realities of this world and you are offering me a "bribe" .... I gave him my UP antics and said "thats how the world runs you help me n i help you".....to which he simply say this is not your UP ....he seemed offended , the 50 Rs note was still in my hand ,He though something and he took it away with a jerk -motion and i assumed he is a jerk of highest order in my 19 year old mind, he went back to his cheetha bike n pulled somthing from the didgy came back to me and said ......." You be Correct , I be Correct and let both of us help the country " and handed me 2 Army day flag worth 20Rs each .........being a student ...n being limited with money , I autonoumously assumed that even then this man is keeping 10Rs for him , n while i was still cursing him , he peeled of another Army-day flag sticker and pasted it on my shirt ....as he said in kannada I guess in ur life I would be the first cop who is " giving " something , but i want a 19 year old guy to remeber always that there are good ppl too in this World .

I always remember him each time I see cops doing "Routine" checking .....have not found another honest COP till now........but trust me I am still optimistic.......

My optimism gets shaken when i see CMs and Law-abiders ruining them self and the country / state for Land and Mines , esp coming from a state I had once admired as being a Model state and for how many time have wished, what if all the states in India be like Karnatake.

But Manjunath R 's thick muchtaches and his half-folded hat has always Inspired me and has kept my optimisn going , even as Bihar developes is it so hard to take better state forwd and make it the best. Poli-titians I demand a answer.

Everything that goes up must come down ......sorry i decline to buy this argument !!!!

1 comment:

  1. body sir i m impressed...u definitely ve a flair for writing..and the point u make is valid too......here r a few lines from a tom petty song for u to ponder.......
    Im learning to fly but i aint got wings...
    coming down is the hardest thing...
    some say life is gonna beat u down...
    break ur heart and steal ur crown..
    so i ve started out for god no where..
    i guess i ll know when i get there...i m learning to fly around the clouds..
    and what goes up must come down.....
    ....
    same holds good for India too..and only way to escape gravity is to launch at terminal velocity...keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete